Children ages 3 - 5 living within the District 31 boundaries may participate in a preschool screening to identify developmental concerns which may interfere with success if not treated early. This will help determine if a preschooler may benefit from special education assistance prior to enrollment in kindergarten.
Children can be screened in the areas of speech and language, concept development, and or motor development. Vision and hearing screenings are also available. The approximately one hour screenings are conducted remotely by the school District’s speech clinicians, learning specialists, school psychologists and school nurses.
District services can begin with early identification of students who may be eligible for future support.
Screenings for the 2022 - 2023 school year:
Screenings are available at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., and 11 a.m. on the following dates:
- Wednesday, October 12, 2022
- Wednesday, December 14, 2022
- Wednesday, February 15, 2023
Proof of residency must be completed at least one week prior to your child's schedule screening. If residency is not completed in the appropriate time frame, the screening will be cancelled and rescheduled for a future date.
To make an appointment for a screening, please contact Anabel Santiago at email@example.com.
Preschool screenings are NOT for determining kindergarten readiness. For all questions regarding typical kindergarten enrollment, please contact the Winkelman school office at 847-729-5650.
What is Child Find for Ages 3 - 5?
- Child Find is a legal requirement that schools find all children who have disabilities and who may be entitled to special education services.
- Child Find covers every child from birth through age 21.
- The school must evaluate any child that it knows or suspects may have a disability.